Mistakes You’re Making When Trying To Lose Belly Fat
We’re on a journey to self-improvement, and we all have specific parts of the bodies we’re trying to work on. Some women want lean, long legs, some want a firm booty. Most women tell me they want to lose belly fat instead.
Belly fat is a common problem for women. Many ladies want to burn the fat in their lower abs and love handles. If you want to slim down, but you’re struggling to lose belly fat, keep reading. These problems might be holding you back:
Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
Eating when you’re hungry is essential to a healthy, lean body. Being hungry is never any fun! But, it is so, so easy to eat mindlessly when you’re bored, stressed, or binge-watching Gilmore Girls (please don’t try to follow their eating habits!).
When you think you’re hungry,stop yourself. Drink some water,preferably a full 16-20 ounces, and then re-evaluate your stomach cravings in 15 minutes. If you’re still hungry, pick something healthy to snack on. Here are a few easy, healthy snacks to go for:
- Chopped bell peppers
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- One apple and two tablespoonsof natural peanut butter
- Mini carrots or celery slices with hummus
- Nuts but be careful asthese can really increase calories without realizing.
- Beachbars or Shakeology
Here’s one tip: Portion out what you’re going to eat ahead of time. That entire bag of pretzels in front of you won’t close itself! Also, keep snacks prepped and ready to grab and go. So much of our success comes down to preparation.
You’re hydrating with the wrong thing — alcohol.
In my experience, a little extra stomach fat and drinking lots of alcohol often go hand in hand. Alcohol is full of empty calories that will never fill you up. Plus, we all know it often leads to that mindless snacking we talked about already.
It isn’t just the extra calories with alcohol that contribute to belly fat. The infamous “beer belly”is real. Alcohol impacts your midsection more than the rest of your body. If you are doing great all week long but spend the weekend drinking, you are going to stay in the circle of not getting the results you are looking for.
You are using creams or wraps to lose belly fat and want it gone now.
Girlfriend, hold the eff up! Creams, wraps, body sprays, they will never work to get rid of fat. You must eliminate grains, processed foods, and sugar if you truly want to get that killer 6 pack.
And as far as timing…..
Want a flatter stomach in 3 days or even a week? Weight loss and creating a lean body takes time and patience. Remember, Victoria Secret models train and watch their diets every single day, not just for a short period of time.
I understand the desire to change your body quickly. Seeing physical changes is so exciting! Unfortunately, expecting quick results can just slow you down. It is easy to get discouraged when you don’t see the fat falling off after a few days. Stick with it! You can do it! You will have times when you lose weight but not inches and weeks where you lose inches but no pounds. Keep going, it is not a fast process. Those who lose super fast almost always gain it back.
You’re doing the wrong exercises for belly fat.
You guys know I love my cardio as it is so great for leaning out your legs and keeping a slimmer look. But doing cardio only will not get rid of belly fat.
To get rid of belly fat, you need to do resistance training. Stop being afraid of weights. You will not bulk up. You will burn a crap ton more calories as muscles burns far more calories than fat. Any type of resistance training helps (even if it’s on the lighter side,such as Pilates). But generally, HIIT combined with Lifting gets the quickest results. I have an awesome workout you can try at home here.In my personal experience, high intensity cardio such as Zumba or kickboxing also helps a lot.
I also make sure to include ab exercises in my workout routines. Some people say that they don’t need to do abwork to see definition (and this can be true if your workouts consist of heavy lifting and Crossfit). But I prefer to do ab exercises because:
- Ab workouts can help improve your posture. When our core is weak, it leads to our pelvis rotating and glute muscles not firing correctly. This leads to low back pain and hip issues. Not fun.
- Ab workouts target more than just abs without even realizing it
Working on your abs also helps to increase your flexibility.
You don’t have a nutrition plan.
Why am I mentioning food again? Because it is that damn importnatn. ?
When you eat foods that turn to sugar once digested, guess where that is going to rest in your body? Yup….belly. Also legs and hips but really for the belly.
Eliminating processed foods is the easiest way to achieve great results. This is truly the key to getting rid of your stomach fat and getting flat abs. Major key components I teach all my clients:
- Eating enough for your body type and activity level.
- Eating only when you are hungry
- Eating healthy, whole foods
- Eating veggies with every single meal
- Drinking water before each meal
- Once you finish dinner, do not go back in the kitchen to snack. Dinner means done.
You’re positive it is really fat, not bloat.
If your stomach only seems bigger at the end of the day, after a big meal, or on your period, you might not have stomach fat to lose. Instead, you might just be bloated.
Bloating affects everybody at some point in their lives. Here are some things to do when your stomach is is bloated:
- Drink lots of water! Eating a lot of salt and sugar throughout the day often leads to a bloated stomach in the evening. Just keep in mind that your stomach expands with too much water intake as well.
- If you are new to healthy eating, sometimes your body can react negatively for a few days or a week. Try portioning your fresh food throughout the day, so you aren’t eating it all at once. Keep your fiber and water balanced together.
- Write down what you’re eating to see what’s causing your bloat. Some foods, especially beans and lentils, can cause bloating. Try to limit those foods, especially the day of a big event!
- Poop….we all do it but some of us don’t do it regularly. If your gut health is poor and you are not able to absorb nutrients the way your body needs, it will fight back with constipation, bloating and gas. The first step in all of my programs is a cleaning phase. Restoring gut health and create a system that ignites your metabolism.
- Hormones, especially excessive estrogen. Women carry excess estrogen right in the middle section. I use a couple different supplements and adaptogen herbs to lower my estrogen levels. We also cover this in great detail to get you on the road to success.
- Exercise. Seriously, light exercise can really help with digestion and bloating.
Losing belly fat requires a healthy lifestyle, so it won’t happen overnight. To get the best results, make sure you’re eating healthy food, exercising properly, and drinking lots of water. You CAN reach your goals!
Think about everything that goes in your mouth and keep a diary of it. Monitor how each food affects you and if it causes bloating, gas,etc. The most important piece that helps me is being held accountable. It all comes down to doing the best practices every single day! You can do this, and I am here to help you!